Wednesday 10 August 2011

The Curious Begins Of Nicknames..

We all have nicknames..well most of us i do remember the day i discovered some people have never had the honour of being bestowed a lovable nickname...it was about as shocking as the day i discovered some people's parents never bothered to give them a middle name..."How Sad For You" ...
Not that a nickname is always all that exciting...seriously when you get right down to it..majority of the populations nicknames consist of zero creativity.. half the male population just refer to each other by their last name or adding an 'O' to their first name 'ShaneO...NeilO and so-forth ... and the other half by something to do with their appearance  ... every red haired person i know is called 'Bluey'... then there are the over weight blokes 'Fatty' .. though i did know an over weight guy once,  we called him Pudge.. when he lost weight every one began calling him by his real name again...why didn't we just start calling him Stick or Twiggy??? Which lead me down the track of thinking..."Do we really only give people mean nicknames???" .. My Dad's nickname had always been 'Bert' refering to his egg shaped head like Bert from Seaseme Street.. untill my mum came along and dared anyone to continue calling him that... he has been know as Steve ever since...
My nickname since they day i popped into the world with a "Hey Folks" has always been the creative 'Chook' why? Because it rhymes with Brooke i 'spose... UNTILL the day's of the Nokia 3350 arrived!!!
I was 15 when i got my first mobile...all us 'cool' kids got mobiles fairly quickly and the top release of 2003 was the good old brick 3350! Apart from the awe-inspiring game of SNAKE this swish little piece of technology also had the ability to guess and spell words! YES!! The dictionary setting was great! And the reason behind my new nickname...
BROOKE contains all the same letters in the same order on the button pad as spelling out ARNOLD, I remember that day on the school bus vividly while my friend typed out a message to a boy asking... "Hey just wondering what do you think of Arnold" HA-HA .... check out how the phone spelt your name...Nokia in face.. and since that day it stuck... I had become ...
That Girl Named Arnold...xxx

12 comments:

  1. Welcome to blogging. Great post. A long ago friend gave me my (internet) nickname which I use for blogging, but I have had a few others.

    Dribble...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha I tried this and rather disappointedly, my name Hazel is still Hazel. I think the "z" screws me over - not many other names have one lol

    http://pablosangel.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I echo the welcome to the blogosphere (as annoying as that fake word is).
    The nickname that rhymes with the person's 1st/last name is unavoidable. Nicknames are generally born from that or some embarrassing incident then evolve into something more embarrassing. That's how I got to be known as "Leaky" (a tragic tale for another day).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi and welcome to Blogging World. As you can see my main nickname is "Bouncin' Barb". I do have some others though. But this one is the keeper. Great post and look forward to hearing from you further.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Neat nickname story. I stole my name from several places, no good story there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. hello and welcome! love how you got your nickname! mine is just "t" and that started because i was too lazy to type out the whole thing every time i signed something.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was the first born and named after my father. He was Odie Langley so I became Odie Langley, Jr. both of us with no middle initial. I was called Junior for my first 21 years.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ahhh nicknames. Such a complex world of inside jokes and wordplay.

    I, too, would like to welcome you to the blogging world. I hope you'll have a lot of fun here. I know I've loved it. Just be careful, because this can be a real addiction. Such a sweet, pleasant, enjoyable addiction... :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I came over here from Mynx's blog and like this post do I have a nickname well no I don't although most of my daughters friends call me mum I don't know know why I don't have one just never aquired one......I call hubby "grumply bum" because he does that a lot grumple about stuff. When my dad was working he was called the "little general" because he was short and bossy..............lol

    ReplyDelete
  10. Welcome to blogging.

    My nicknames have evolved as I aged. As a child I was called Duck, after a Disney cartoon character. In high school I became Cowboy because of the way I dressed, I guess. Now a certain Aussie lady calls me Silver Fox. Actually, I'm not sure who I am. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Esperançosamente, este artigo verteu satta king play bazaar alguma luz em algumas das coisas que você pode fazer para se ajudar a viver uma vida mais feliz, mais produtiva com menos ansiedade.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is anything but an astute utilization of your cash. Be patient and watch for the correct venture.

    AAPKI NEWS
    AAP KI NEWS

    ReplyDelete